Thursday 22 November 2018

A minor medical inconvenience.

A minor medical inconvenience.

A couple of days ago I noticed I was low in a couple of the many medications I take. I phoned the pharmacy and they informed me that one of the medications that I have been on for eons was expired and they would have to contact the doctor for a renewal. They would let me know when to come in and pick it up. Two or three days later, I got the call. They had called the Doctor's office and the nurse (who knows me well) told them they hadn't seen me for a year and I had to see the doctor first. As I was out of my pills and my very own doc is out of the office more than she's in it these days, I knew I might be dead before I got the appointment. Since I attend the Family Medicine Unit at St. Joe's hospital, a teaching unit I always feel obliged to let students and residents have a learning look at me before taking over my own care! I can always get an appointment with a resident because they are always in need of bodies to inspect, palpate, percuss, auscultate etc.
I phone the unit. "My prescription has run out, I need to see the Doctor to get a refill. I need the appointment today. I will see anyone."
I had said the magic words.
"We can fit you in with one of the residents. Two 'clock or three?"
It was already one thirty, so I opted for two. "Who should I ask for?
"Oh it doesn't matter, just check in at reception and they will tell you."
That actually meant that they didn't know yet and that they would grab one of the residents who didn't look too busy.
I arrived at a few minutes to two o'clock and barely had time to open my tablet and start typing when the nurse came in.
"Hello, Stan, we haven't seen you for a long time so I thought this was a good way to drag you in. It's over a year you know and you need some updates in your shots and I wanted to talk to you about the new pneumonia shot." She checked my blood pressure. "Uncross your legs!"she barked.
She did it again. "There, that's better."

    She gave me a lecture about having a colonoscopy and staying up to date with my immunizations.   She told me I  should come more than once a year.  I nodded my head queisciently. 
She put me in the examining room. "The Doctor will be in in just a moment."
Again, I barely had time to fiddle with my digital toys when the door opened and a little girl came into the room. She looked about fifteen, a trifle over five foot tall and about 95lbs soaking wet! However, I had been in the game far too long to let anyone's appearance of youth fool me.
"Good afternoon Doctor, pleased to meet you," I said, shaking hands.
"Pleased to meet you, Dr. Smith," Ah, so she had been briefed.
"Are you a local grad," I asked her.
"No," she said, "I'm an Ottawa graduate, but my partner has a job here in London so I moved here."
The world has changed a lot since I was young!!
She gave me my prescriptions which was the reason for my visit and so that the appointment would really be worthwhile I got her to look at a little warty thing on my back, which she did willingly. It was nothing.
I guess she hasn't got to the stage yet of "only one complaint per visit!!!

    Oh, by the way, the pharmacy informed me that if I couldn't get a timely appointment with  my doctor a pharmacist could sign an interim prescription for only fifteen dollars!!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment