Monday 7 July 2014

The Cop Doctor!




                                             The RCMP and Me.
 Part 1.
             In my early days of practice in Regina, Saskatchewan, (the Home of the  RCMP) in the 1960s, I was privileged to be one of the doctors looking after one of the two major training centres in the country.   (In fact, for a time I was actually a Special Constable in the Force, but that's another story, for later.)
              In addition to looking after the recruits, there were  RCMP officers of various ranks who came into the clinic for both routine medical examinations and with various complaints.  Most of them had family doctors in the community but the convenience of being seen right on the spot at the depot tended to be overwhelming. This was further facilitated by the fact that they could give Mike (my  Medical orderly)  a call requesting him to slip them in at the end of clinic and being the obliging fellow he was, Mike would usually meet the requests.  Thus over a period of time I came to know quite a few of the officers and if they
did not have a regular family physician become their primary care doctor.
             Sergeant Peters was one such patient and I had seen him on a few occasions.  I was surprised when he arrived at my office downtown in Regina in uniform, one morning.
            "There's a Mountie waiting to see you, Dr. Smith," Peggy my nurse said, nervously.
            Looks like they have finally caught up with me.  Better show him in." I joked.
             "Sorry to bother you, Doc, but I have a little favor to ask of you," the officer smiled.
I was already running a little late.  He probably had some minor complaint, that could've waited until I was out at the post the following day, I thought.          
             "What can I do for you, Sergeant?"  I asked.
             "This is a little different from the usual business you do with us, Doc," he said.  "Sometimes we have need for medical help"
              "What sort of medical help do you have in mind?"  I asked suspiciously.
              "I know you're busy right now, and I wouldn't have bothered you at your office under normal circumstances.  In fact, I was planning to meet with you after your clinic next week to discus this.  But we do have a job at hand that we would like you to help us with. Of course we do have a special budget to pay you for this sort of work," he added.
             "Exactly what sort of work are we talking about?"  I asked.
             "I think you know Andy Higgins, he was in to see you for his annual medical not very long ago?"
              I had no recollection of who he was talking about but I nodded anyway.
             "Well, he's doing some undercover work and is supposed to be off his job and on Workers compensation at the moment.  We felt that if you would put a cast on his arm so that he would really look the part."
             "That seems straightforward enough.  Sure I'll do it.  When do you need him ready for the job?"
              The sergeant said, "That's just it.  He's going to a big meeting this evening and he is supposed to be off work because of a broken arm."
           "Okay, bring him into my office this afternoon and I'll cast him," I said.
             "That's really great, thanks.  And I've arranged to look in to see you for half an hour or so next week so we can discuss this arrangement and what else you might be prepared to help us."
            Const. Higgins showed up at my office as arranged and I quickly put a cast on his left arm.
           "Don't forget to let this harden properly, and if it feels too tight or causes any tingling or discoloration in your fingers, get right back to the office here or to the emergency department if it's during the night.  I don't want your arm falling off over a cast you didn't need in the first place.    I want to see you no later than two weeks from now for removal of the cast, earlier if your mission permits it."  
            Constable Higgins seemed quite amused by the situation and despite my cautions to him his final dismissive words were, "thanks Dr., don't worry, I'll take this off myself when I don't need
 it any longer."  And with that he scooted out of the office and I didn't see him again until his next annual medical examination one year later, when his arm was still attached to his body and the cast
 had long since been relegated to the dump.
              That was the beginning of a long relationship with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and subsequently with  the Federal Corrections Canada  Maximum Security Institution in Saskatoon.
See next week for part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment