Tuesday 11 August 2020

Avuncular Tales. Pt.3.

    They hit Mooney's shortly after seven.    "I'm starving," Mick said," Haven't had a bite all day.  How about you?"                                                
   "I think I can eat.  What would you like?  I'm treating," said Harry. "What do you recommend ?"                                                                  
   " The fried liver and onion is really great here-and the portions are huge.  So that's what I'll have and a pint of Guinness, of course."   Mick said.       
 "I'll have the same," said Harry. 
 
"How did you come to choose Ireland looking for a job?  A lot of the people I knew went to England to find work," Mick asked.
  "There's a bit more to it than that.  Problems with the parents and that sort of stuff. I thought the best way to deal with it is to be my own for a while.  I really wanted to go to America and make my fortune but I couldn't afford it, so I figured this could be the first leg of the journey so I could save a little money a money and go to the nStates."
   "Sounds reasonable, but  in the meanwhile it might be very hard to get a decent job here."land
   Harry smiled a little smug smile.  "Would it surprise you if esculenceI told you I think I already have one?"
   "I certainly would.  So tell me."and 
   "I will, but let's get another beer."  
   Their Liver and Onions arrived and for a while the conversation focused around the esculence of the comestibles.
   They ordered another beer and Harry told Mick about his encounter with Dave aboard what was called the "MailBoat" because it was carried the mail between Ireland and England.  It was operated by the LMS - the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and it also carried most of the many travelers between Ireland and England.
   "And you think you are going to be able to do the job without any experiencing or training?"an   "Im pretty good at mechanical stuff.  I think I'll pick it up pretty quickly.  I did tell him I had no experience with that sort of work, that my experience as a machinist was on quite a different sort of stuff, so that it might take me a while to make the change from kites to rainwear.  He said he'd give me a month to make the changeover, so we'll see."
   Mick pulled out his cigarettes and offered one to Harry.  "Thanks," he said, "Nice to have a Goldflake, I used to smoke them. I've just been buying Woodbines lately to save money.  They're a bit rough."
   They had another beer, and stimulated by the great social lubricant exchanged information about themselves and their families remains undisclosed.    
   
  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment