Wednesday 11 March 2015

The Pathologist. Pt 3.

 

            By the time we had done a half dozen autopsies or so we had a pretty smooth working relationship.   I now understood what Jim was talking about when he mentioned the 'fast way'.  While both methods achieved the same results, the 'fast way' was a good deal less delicate than the careful dissection carried out by Dr. McMurray.  In fact it relied more on brute strength than skill.  After Jim used the electric saw to remove the sternum and the anterior part of the ribs, the technique consisted of tying off all the structures at the highest possible level before cutting them. They were also cut just above the diaphragm after being tied off there.  No fine dissection here. I just grasped all the structures in both hands and then with all my strength gave a mighty tug, removing all of the structures out of the chest cavity simultaneously.  Not very elegant, but effective.  We then went on to examine and section the individual  organs looking for pathology.

              The extra stipend made a big difference.  Even after I gave Jim his twenty - five shillings, if we did a couple of autopsies each week, it still added up to more than my regular paltry pay and I certainly needed anything extra I could earn.  All the money that Irene and I had saved from playing at Dublin's Paradiso nightclub, (another story for another time!) and from selling all our possessions, including her beloved piano was almost gone.  

            My old friend, from my undergraduate days,  Arthur, kept in touch and we went out for coffee once in a while to compare personal as well as professional notes.

          "Thank god I have that extra few pounds a month coming in from the autopsies.  At least that keeps us eating and pays the rent."I  said.  Interns wages in those days, did't even cover the exigencies and we had a new baby.

             "Sounds like a good deal,"  responded Arthur,  "I know we are having a really tough time at my hospital as well, because of the current acute pathologist shortage. I've heard some of residents complaining that they're expected to do autopsies and that they haven't faintest idea about how to go about it.  Maybe you  could come over and do them and I'd assist you and we could split the fee."

               "I could sure use the extra dough," I said, "The extra I'm  earning doing these autopsies just about make it possible for us to survive."

                "Yes, you had some pretty bad luck.  But don't worry, things will  get better."

                 Over the next few months, Art called me several times to come over and do an autopsy.  By  this time, I was starting to consider myself a bit of an expert at the autopsy game.   As so often  happens when one arrives at that conclusion, events prove otherwise.

            The midnight DOA (Dead on Arrival) patient had been scheduled for postmortem at eight the following morning.  A forty-five year old man who had collapsed at home, just before midnight, as he was getting into bed.  Attempts to resuscitate him in the emergency department failed.   Jim and I went through the usual autopsy routine without finding any cause of death.

            "There has to be a cause of death, Doc, you've got to find something.  This is a coroner's case and there's got to be a cause of death  on the death certificate, otherwise the fella can't be buried."

            "You're right, Jim, but you saw how carefully I've looked.  This type of death from heart attack is almost always due to coronary thrombosis.  I've sectioned the arteries really carefully and can't find anything that remotely resembles a clot."

            "Then we'll just have to have the coroner come over and see what he has to suggest." Jim said.

            "Yes, I suppose so," said I.   

             I phoned the coroner's office, and spoke to Dr. O'Carroll, the city coroner, both a physician and a lawyer.

            "Did you section those coronaries carefully?" he asked me. "Sounds like a classical coronary thrombosis."

            "Yes, I did," said I, "and found nothing."

             "Ah, it must be there," said the coroner.  I'll be right over."

             Jim and I set out all the specimens for Dr. O'Carroll's inspection.

            About a half hour later, he arrived.  A distinguished, gray-haired man in his middle fifties, he lit a cigarette, pulled on a pair of rubber gloves started examining the specimens.

            "Make sure to send away the gastric contents to be analyzed and make sure he wasn't poisoned deliberately or accidentally.  I don't see anything much here,"  he remarked as he examined the liver, kidney and spleen. 

            Let's take a careful look at those coronary arteries."
   He held out his hand for the heart.

            I handed him the heart with its neatly sectioned coronary arteries.

            "I've looked really carefully, sir, and can't see any abnormality."

            Dr. O'Carroll took the heart in  his hand  looked at it for a while, and said,

          "Let me have that scalpel for a minute.  I don't think you've sectioned the coronary arteries quite closely enough."

            He took the scalpel and started to section the arteries with closer cuts.

            "Ah, here it is, see it?" he exclaimed, pointing with the bayonet tip of the scalpel, at the lumen of the anterior descending branch of the left coronary artery.

            "No sir," I said, "I don't see anything."

            "Look man, right there," he said, somewhat irritably, jabbing the scalpel at an area in the artery.  "I'll section another area there.  Now you can see it?" he demanded.

            I  nodded miserably, looking at the sectioned mess  not sure that I could see anything out of the ordinary and feeling quite inadequate on  that account.

            "Now you can put on the death certificate acute coronary thrombosis."

            He peeled off his gloves and groped anxiously through his pockets until he found his cigarettes.  He stuck one in his mouth, lit up and took a deep drag.  He smiled benevolently, as the tobacco alkaloids crossed the blood-brain barrier and produced the desired effects.

            "Good lad, Smith," he said kindly, "I hope that this has provided a valuable learning experience for you.  You'll know what to do the next time, eh?"

            "Yes sir," I said, and never called the chief coroner again.

No comments:

Post a Comment