Saturday 7 September 2019

Slick Lab V Slack Lab.

   I find myself increasingly quoting Ronald Reagan: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!" are the most terrifying nine words in the English language.  Anyone familiar with waiting around hospitals for X Rays or lab work cannot fail to be impressed by the efficiency of the private sector when compared with the civil service mentality of the public sector.  Viz my visit to one of the private labs for some blood work this week.
   I pulled into the parking lot and parked my car in a designated complementary spot clearly labelled as such.  At the hospital even a short parking stop would be $3-$4.  I made my way to the lab and since it was 10am I was not surprised to find it crowded.  A large monitor mounted on the wall listed the twenty or more patients ahead of me by first name and the anticipated time of their wait.  I checked in anticipating a fair wait and since there was a coffee shop not more than a few feet away,  I slipped in and bought myself a large coffee.
   I am a rather impatient individual so I always bring some tasks with me to keep myself amused.  With my coffee in one hand and my National Post in the other I settled myself down in one of the rather comfortable chairs to enjoy my coffee and catch up on the news.  No sooner had I settled down than I heard my name being called out.  Impossible, must be a mistake, I thought.  I looked up at the screen and saw "Stan.......waiting time ........0!  I was directed to the torture chair, where a pleasant lab tech took my coffee and placed it safely for me while she took my blood.
   I had gone into the lab at 10 am and was back in my car sipping my coffee at 10.29.
  That never happened at a hospital!!
  I suspect the whole health care system might benefit from a healthy dose of competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment