Thursday 27 November 2014

House call part 2.

This is the final part of a two part post.  Read part 1 first.

      All three occupants of the room froze. I clutched my medical bag, with its considerable variety of drugs, tightly in my hands.  No one attempted to open the door. Again a loud knocking, this time more insistent, demanding an answer. I was just on the point of quickly opening the door, walking down the corridor and getting into the still running car,(we used to do that at 40 degrees below zero!) when with a loud crack, the front door flew open.  Two men stood in the doorway.  I sized them up quickly. One tall, fairly well dressed, tough looking, the other fat and rather shabby. I noticed that as the short, fat one burst into the room, his jacket swung open revealing a holstered gun.  Tomorrow's Leader Post headlines flashed in front of my eyes. "Young Physician shot in Drug Shootout"  I clutched my house call bag firmly in my hands. (If they got that, it was going to be over my dead body!) I decided that it was now or never. I pushed past the two men hoping they would be so busy with the occupants of the rooms they wouldn't bother with me.  I walked briskly down the corridor, head down, making for the car, with its engine running, warm.  I knew once I got there I would have no problem. I glanced over my shoulder - my god,they were after me!  I broke into a trot,and so did they! I felt a heavy hand laid upon my arm as I was spun around. The small shabby man's hand went to his holster. I wondered whether to run for it.
      "Sgt. Sam O'Hanlon, Regina City Police Dept.,"he said. "Afraid you got caught up in a drug bust,doc." He shoved his police department badge under my nose. "I just have to establish for the record that you didn't leave any narcotics at this address, so that when we lay charges they can't say that it was just stuff the doc left." 
         "No, I didn't leave anything," I said.
         "We may have to call you for evidence, doc." 
         I nodded "Okay ,will that be all."
        "Yeah,that's all, doc".
           I walked out to the car. It was warm and cozy, as I drove home.  I parked my car in the carport,and plugged in the block heater. I crept up the stairs so as not to waken the baby. On the landing I removed my clothes,slipped into the bedroom and felt the cozy warmth emanating from my wife. As I snuggled up beside her she stirred.
       "Have you got to go out,darling?" she asked.
       "No" I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment