Tuesday 26 August 2014

The Doc and the Cops. IV



Flu Shot Day!
            When I arrived at the Post hospital that  morning at 8 a.m., Mike had already got things under way.
            “We’re going to be a bit busy today, Doc,” he informed me.
            “Oh, how is that?”  I asked, "I have to meet a patient in the Emergency Dept at eleven.
            “Oh don't worry, Doc, I'll get you there in time," he reassured me."  We have about 30 young fellows who need their flu shots this morning,” he answered.  “And then we have a young fellow I admitted during the night, with tonsillitis and there are about another eight wanting to be seen, and of course then there are others who come in during the clinic I’ll let them in until nine o’clock and then unless they look sick they’ll have to wait until tomorrow.”
            “That’s going to take quite a while Mike.  Thirty immunizations even before we start seeing the sick ones.”
            “I have all thirty of the men requiring the immunizations lined up, standing to attention, with their sleeves rolled up and waiting for their shots,” Mike said proudly, his military background surfacing. “I filled up thirty syringes with the required amount of the vaccine and I’ll wipe off their arms with the alcohol swab, while you inject the vaccine.  If we allow about a minute for each one we should be done in a half hour or so.”
            “Sounds good to me, Mike and if we keep up the momentum, I might just  make my appointment at the  Grey Nun’s hospital and grab a bite of lunch before my afternoon office.”
            Mike smiled, “don’t worry Doc; I’ll make sure you're in time.”
            As I followed Mike into the clinic, I found thirty young RCMP recruits standing to attention with their sleeves rolled up their shoulder.  On a mobile trolley nearby there were thirty alcohol swabs and thirty loaded syringes.  Without further ado Mike wheeled the trolley to the first candidate, wiped down the appropriate area of the left shoulder and waited for me to pick up a loaded syringe.  I gave the injection.  We were about halfway along the lines when we heard a crash as the recruit third in the line slid to the floor and not too silently.  I started to run towards him. 
            Mike said, “You just carry on Doc, you’ll have to wipe off the arms yourself with the alcohol swab, while I look after the poor lad.  It always amazes me that the biggest, strongest looking lads are the ones who faint at the sight of a needle, let alone a prick from one.”
            Just as he said there were always a couple of fainters.  Mike never seemed to worry about them getting hurt and so neither did I.  ‘They’re big strong lads, don’t worry about them’, was Mike’s retort when I expressed some concern.  Our failure to worry was well rewarded as nobody ever did get hurt and in those days there were not so many unemployed lawyers hanging around.

No comments:

Post a Comment